The EIN Fan Club Mega Quiz Top contestants get a chance to win some special hard-to-obtain Elvis prizes.- No prizes here just a chance to have some FUN and to get your name in lights.
|The Top Ten entrants and Elvis Experts.
There were 73 points in total.
Elvis Experts from answers emailed to EIN website this month
1- Trevor Alderson (UK) - 72 (nearly made it)
2- Barry Togher (Australia) - 69
3- Steven Pierson (UK) - 68
4- Susan Stewart (US) - 68
5- Greg Cieslik (Canada) - 67
|From the paid-up EIN Fan Club Members - a special mention..
1. Peta Garriga 73 – 100% correct
2= Bev Waide (68)
2= Tony Cannata (68)
4. Joan Gansky (67)
5. Viviane Chanceaulme (63)
The trickiest questions for everyone were the following questions
- Composer W Earl Brown quote about 'If I Can Dream'
- Variety giving Elvis such a poor review in 1971
- The "Draft Notice" photo was in Colonel Parker's office, not Graceland.
- The Jess Wade in Charro quote
- Vester Presley stating that "Vernon is a good worker"
- The tricky photo of Charles O'Curran, Elvis' choreographer and it not being Wendell Corey from Loving You.
Please see all the detailed answers below!
The first four sections are all Multiple Choice.
Section 1 - Such an Easy Question!
1. What Elvis film featured the song (Such An) Easy Question
a) Girl Happy
b) Tickle Me
d) Kissin’ Cousins
2. What was the B-Side of the single (Such An) Easy Question
a) I’m Yours
b) Night Rider
c) Slowly But Surely
d) It Feels So Right
3. In which movie does Elvis play the character Rick Richards
a) Girl Happy
b) Tickle Me
c) Paradise, Hawaiian Style
4. What relation was Doll Mansell to Elvis
a) Great Grandmother
b) Grandmother Gladys Presley's mother.
d) Second cousin
5. ‘Mister, Will you marry me?’ was an early working title for which Elvis movie?
a) Girl Happy
b) It Happened At the World’s Fair
d) Live A Little, Love A Little
6. Which Elvis song contains this lyric, "I was happy free and easy"
a) Such An Easy Question
b) Long Lonely Highway
c) I Don’t Want To (track 4 off 'Girls, Girls, Girls')
d) Easy Come, Easy Go
7. ‘Let Me Be There’ on the 1977 Moody Blue album was recorded live on
a) April 25, 1977 in Saginaw, Michigan
b) June 19 1977, in Omaha, Nebraska
c) June 21, 1977 in Rapid City, South Dakota
d) March 20, 1974 in Memphis, Tennessee Unbelievable that they would repeat a track on the 1977 album hoping that fans wouldn't notice.
8. Elvis and Priscilla spent time with Tom Jones on which date
a) September 30 1965
b) April 6 1968
c) September 8 1973 (this date with Linda Thompson)
d) September 3 1974 (this date with Sheila Ryan)
Section 2 -
9. Which Elvis movie promised "smooth, fast and in high gear"
a) Viva Las Vegas
10. Elvis’ fee for the 1956 Milton Berle broadcast from the aircraft carrier
a) $3,000 The original contract shows $3,500 but this was for "Elvis & his supporting musicians"
11. Which future girlfriend first met Elvis on August 19th 1969
a) Barbara Leigh
b) Linda Thompson
c) Joyce Bova
d) Sheila Ryan
12. Guitar Man! Match the 4 song titles to the lyrics below
a) Guitar Man - 4) music on my guitar
b) King Creole - 3) he holds his guitar
c) C’mon Everybody - 2) a guitar in my hand
d) There Ain’t Nothing Like a Song - 1) take that fine guitar
13. Elvis’ first Louisiana Hayride contract was for how much per nightly performance
a) US$18 to Elvis and $12 to Scotty Moore and Bill Black. Note that while this figure seems very low, $1 in 1955 was worth around $14 in today's 2012 prices. So Elvis got around $250 which sort of makes sense.
12. Vera Leftwich became Elvis’
a) German girlfriend in March 1959
b) Co-composer of ‘Love Me Tender’ Vera Matson
c) Step Grandmother She married Jesse D after he separated from Gladys' mother.
d) Las Vegas Nurse in summer 1974
15. W. Earl Brown composed ‘If I Can Dream’ …
a) Suggested by Comeback producer Steve Binder after Robert Kennedy’s unjust shooting
b) Suggested by Colonel Parker for the dramatic ending
c) As a song of hope, possibly for Aretha Franklin or Elvis
d) With co-composer Mac Davis
W. Earl Brown said - "Two books have told how the song "If Can Dream" was written and both of them have gotten it wrong. They said things like "so and so told me to go home and write it." That never happened. I wrote it on my own thinking it might never even be recorded by Elvis. I had this thing bursting inside of me that I thought the song should say, that kind of hopeful song like "You'll Never Walk Alone."
Finally I went home one night thinking this is never gonna happen with these guys. I'm not putting them down at all. But I thought that if I'm gonna write a song I'm gonna write it myself. I remember thinking that they probably wouldn't use it anyway. "A Change Is Gonna Come" by Sam Cooke was the kind of song I wanted to write. And I thought that if Elvis doesn't record it, I'll give it to Aretha Franklin."
16. When did Elvis say, "I would like to play a dramatic role, but I’m not ready for that really. I haven’t had enough acting experience."
a) August 1956 TV Guide interview
b) January 1957 Ed Sullivan show
c) March 1960 Graceland Press conference
d) February 1961 Memphis press conference
Section 3 - Elvis in 2011
17. What was the major SONY/RCA release of 2011 titled
a) The Young Man With The Big Beat
b) Young Man With The Big Beat The Complete Elvis Presley 1956 Masters
c) Young Man With The Big Beat The Complete ‘56 Elvis Presley Masters (what is says on the actual box-set and on the SONY website)
d) The Young Man With The Big Beat The Complete 1956 Elvis Presley Masters
18. EPE’s major celebration in 2011 was the
a) 40th anniversary of 1971 and Elvis live in Boston
b) 45th anniversary of Elvis and Priscilla’s engagement
c) 50th anniversary of Blue Hawaii
d) 55th anniversary of Elvis’ break-through year
19. In 2011 who was prosecuted by EPE for illegally selling their copyrighted works
a) Joe Tunzi
b) Henrik Knudsen
c) Jo Pirzada
d) Jo Pirzada and Bud Glass (for the Final Curtain 1977 CBS TV show release)
20. In 2011 there is a major Elvis Petition going around because
a) The ‘Viva Elvis’ show is to close in 2012
b) FTD did not release the GI Blues box-set before it went into Public Domain
c) US Billboard have downgraded Elvis’ stated number of #1 records
d) The International Astronomical Union won't rename "Orion" the "Elvis" constellation
21. Which Elvis associate did not pass away in 2011
a) Patti Parry
b) Lamar Fike
c) Sherrill Nielsen - he died in 2010.
d) Bruce Jackson
22. In 2011 the Elvis Presley Estate incredibly made
a) US$ 45 million
b) US$ 50 million
c) US$ 55 million - down on 2010's $60 million profit which is a concern to EPE.
d) US$ 65 million
23. In 2011 which Elvis super-fan had her detailed diaries published in a new book
a) Sandi Miller
b) Sue McCasland
c) Judy Palmer
d) Peggy Elzea (Go HERE, great book and interview)
24. In 2011 who revealed her story of being 13 years old and being kissed by Elvis in 1957
a) Barbara Gray
b) Bobbi Owens
c) Janet Fulton Go HERE to EIN's exclusive interview and photos
d) Donna Butterworth
Section 4 -
Elvis – Derailed
25. Which song contains the lyrics, "the old train whistle makes me want to cry"
a) Mystery Train
b) Frankfort Special
c) Gonna Get Back Home Somehow
d) One Track Heart
26. Which co-star said "Elvis is not particularly an accomplished actor.. I don’t think he even knows how to kiss.."
a) Ursula Andress
b) Stella Stevens
c) Marianna Hill
d) Julie Parrish
27. In which year did US Variety magazine review Elvis in Vegas as "sloppy, hurriedly rehearsed, uneven, mundanely lit, often silly and haphazardly coordinated. Elvis looked drawn, tired and noticeably heavier…"
a) 1971 - Amazing that Variety would give Elvis such a bad review on August 20 1971.
28. Which ‘Wild In the Country’ cast member (supposedly) had her butt kicked by Elvis for being rude
a) Tuesday Weld
b) Robin Raymond
c) Ruby Goodwin
d) Christina Crawford With a mother like Joan Crawford I guess she had her excuses!
29. In which Las Vegas concert did Elvis leave the stage for 15 minutes and then return to finish the show
a) 15 February 1973 - Post the January 'Aloha' high, this season was not good for Elvis.
b) 25 August 1974
c) 20 August 1975
d) 6 December 1976
30. Which Doctor tried to blackmail Elvis and the FBI was asked to investigate
a) Dr Nick
b) Dr Ghanem
c) Dr Meyer
d) Dr Landau - - In Nov 1959 Dr Laurenz Landau was supposed to be treating the King’s pimples while in Germany but instead started to feel up Elvis - and then tried some black-mailing saying he had some compromising photos.
31. Elvis split his Live concert revenue with the Colonel 50/50 from which date
a) 24 January 1967
b) 28 August 1969
c) 1 March 1973
d) 22 January 1976 - – With Elvis in poor condition Col Parker thought he’d take him for 50% of his live performance earnings – which was after Parker had already taken out his costs!!
32. In which season was Elvis so bored & angry that he shot out a Hilton chandelier
a) Jan/Feb 1973
b) Jan/Feb 1974 - – The year Col Parker should have got Elvis on a World Tour to stop the rot & boredom.
c) August 1974
d) December 1976
Section 5 - EIN Elvis Fun Mega Picture Quiz Page -
One point for each answer
PQ1. Who is with Elvis
What year is the photo
Photo was taken in 1965
PQ2. Who is with Elvis
Barbara Gray, 30.June.56
Richmond, Virginia, Mosque Theatre
PQ3. Who is with Elvis
Dan Blocker (ex Bonanza)
Fun In Acapulco set
PQ4. Name both actresses
Yvonne Craig, Pamela Austin
1963 (Kissin Cousins)
PQ5. What is Elvis holding
Army Draft Notice 21 December 1957
At Col Parker's Madison Office
PQ6. Who is with Elvis
Lionel Rose (Australian Boxer)
PQ7. Who is with Elvis -What date
Juliet Prowse, Marie Parker (Col’s wife)
June 22, 1960
Taken at Col’s B’day party for some reason given 4 days early at G.I. Blues set
PQ8. Who is with Elvis - What month/year
Jan Shephard, Liliane Montevecchi Dolores Hart, February 1958
Finally a couple of tie-breaker trickier questions, just in case
Worth 2 points each for each answer
Section 6 - Hard Knocks
33. Name the four people shown right with Elvis
what is the date
and where is Elvis leaving for?
Vernon Presley, Gladys Presley,
Cliff Gleaves (Elvis’ friend), Anita Wood
August 27th 1957
Elvis was leaving for his mini West Coast live tour
34. In which movie did Elvis’ character say..
"Just go about your normal business. Nothing’s going to happen if you do as I say. Trust me!"
Jess Wade says this in Charro! (he really does!)
35. Who made this rather strange statement about Elvis’ father?
"Vernon is a good worker. He’s dependable, honest, and he loves his son as no other can, so it’s no wonder that Elvis can rest easy knowing that his financial affairs are in good hands."
Vester Presley (Vernon’s brother & Graceland gate-guard said this in ‘A Presley Speaks’. Boy, he had no grip on reality!)
36. Name the movie shown right,
Who is with Elvis and what was his role?
Loving You (Elvis in relaxed jeans getup)
Charles O’Curran who was the film’s Choreographer
(sorry, not actor Wendell Corey - see other Charles O’Curran photo left)
Charles O’Curran also worked with Elvis on King Creole, GI Blues, Blue Hawaii through to Girls Girls Girls. He was also married to super-star Patti Page.
37. Who told this story about Elvis?
"One night when Elvis walked off stage after taking about five or six encores, Gladys got him by the arm and led him over to the side of the stage away from everyone and said, "Elvis, don't you have any drawers?" He said, "No ma'am, the only pair I own was dirty…"
Maxine Brown - (brilliant story!)
I hope that you enjoyed this quiz and may have learned something more about our man.
*** CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL WHO TRIED THE QUIZ ****.
CLICK HERE and send us your comments.
MEGA QUIZ compiled by Piers Beagley.
-Copyright EIN April 2012
EIN Website content © Copyright the Elvis Information Network.