ELVIS PRESLEY FTD WORLD
Anika Co., Japan, 2012, Flexicover (with dust jacket), 160 pages, Illustrated, ISBN: 978-4901964241
Reviewed by Nigel Patterson, June 2012
Elvis Presley FTD World is a long overdue book release. As its title suggests, this is a catalog of all Follow That Dream (FTD) releases. For anyone not familiar with FTD, it is Sony Music Entertainment’s collectors label for Elvis material.
| ABOUT FTD (Source: elvis.com)
Follow That Dream Records is a collectors record label that exists exclusively for the dedicated Elvis music collector and currently offers over 100 different Elvis CDs, books and LPs with additional titles released throughout the year.
The FTD label was created by Sony Music and launched in 1999 with the release of the CD “Burbank 68,” a fascinating behind-the-scenes look at Elvis’ famous 1968 television special.
The titles include a vast array of Elvis music material ranging from:
- multiple alternate takes made during studio recording sessions
- previously unreleased concert recordings (commonly referred to as soundboard recordings)
- movie soundtracks with previously unreleased songs/takes
- deleted titles from the regular Elvis catalog that are re-released exclusively on FTD with bonus material
- special rare photo book/CD combos
- select titles available on vinyl 33 rpm record albums
FTD releases are available online through www.shopelvis.com and at Elvis Presley’s Graceland in Memphis.
Since its inception FTD, which is driven by Sony executives, Ernst Jorgensen and Roger Semon, has produced more than 110 releases!
Compiled by Atsushi (from Elvis Sound Magazine), Elvis Presley FTD World provides details on the first 111 releases from the FTD label.
The book opens with a gloriously mouth watering, high quality color section featuring the covers of all FTD CD, book and vinyl releases from Burbank 68 (released on 1 July 1999) to Welcome Home Elvis 1960 (May 2012).
It then segues into the main chapters which are:
- Studio Recordings/Outtakes
- Soundboard Recordings
- Classic Albums
- Film Soundtrack Albums
- FTD Books
- Visual and narrative timeline 1969-1977 (record releases, concert tours and important incidents)
Elvis Rockin' Across Texas (Book cover)
The Jungle Room Sessions (Vinyl LP cover)
The page design is nicely structured with most pages split into three horizontal sections:
- Top section - release title (in English); front and back cover images, catalog number, release date and Star rating (out of 5)
- Middle section - track listing (in both Japanese and English) plus photograph
- Bottom section - ancillary text (in Japanese)
Each release is supported by release date, track listing and ASIN number.
The bulk of the book is in black and white and printed on quality paper stock. The text is complemented by a wide array of visually pleasing b&w visuals (some very rare) from throughout Elvis’ life.
Non-music content FTD releases (such as A Moment in Time Four Days in ‘56 and King Creole Frame By Frame) feature various visuals from each book and ancillary text in Japanese.
Other inclusions are:
"Good Times" 7" Fold-out Digipack Cover
- several pages covering important FTD and non FTD Sony releases (maybe one of our Japanese readers can enlighten us as to exactly what this chapter is about)
- a short section detailing select releases from Joseph Pirzada’s Memphis Recording Service (MRS) - I doubt Sony executives will be impressed with this
- a chronological listing of the 111 releases (with page number references) which will be a welcome handy reference for many fans
- a short/select Elvis bibliography
The book is a good size measuring 27cm (10.5”) x 18cm (7“).
Important Note: FTD World will appeal to both Japanese and English reading fans! Each listing is presented in Japanese and English text, although the introductory text for each chapter and ancillary text for each release (which I assume to be footnotes, etc) is presented in Japanese only.
Verdict: Elvis Presley FTD World is an attractive looking and valuable addition to the Elvis library. Collectors and Elvis scholars will appreciate its largely dual Japanese-English text and the important record it provides of the FTD catalog.
FTD releases are available from:
the official Elvis site (EPE)
through many fan clubs - check with your local fan club for availability
they occasionally appear on Amazon UK
Comment on the review
Click on image below to buy ELVIS PRESLEY FTD WORLD from Amazon Japan:
Amazon Japan price is 2100Y or approx. US26 (postage & packaging extra)........there are copies available from the Amazon Japan dealer network starting at 1500Y
OR - CLICK HERE to buy from "CD Japan" site - with English purchasing information
Copyright the Elvis Information Network.
Elvis Presley, Elvis and Graceland are trademarks of Elvis Presley Enterprises.
The Elvis Information Network has been running since 1986 and is an EPE officially recognised Elvis fan club.